Baby Care Basics Workshop
Everything the new parent needs, plus a component on how to reduce toxicity exposure to your baby. Covers from birth – six weeks.
Next Workshop: Monday, February 6, 2017 | 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
The Baby Care Basics class prepares new parents and caregivers for understanding the unique characteristics and needs of newborns. There will be hands-on demonstrations in this interactive class, where you will learn all about newborn bathing, diapering, swaddling, umbilical cord care and much more, giving parents the tools and confidence to care for their babies independently from day one. You’ll also feel well-prepared at your hospital or birthing facility to understand common procedures such as APGAR scores and PKU testing.
As a workshop bonus you’ll also:
1. get a baby wrap demonstration – the favorite baby carrying product of today’s parents and experts for safely and conveniently calming and carrying baby hands-free; and
2. learn what to look for and avoid in today’s baby products to ensure you’re buying truly safe/non-chemical baby soaps, shampoos, diapers, etc. This will be a very eye-opening and empowering addition to the workshop that we bet will shape you as a consumer and a parent forever.
You’ll receive a “baby” at this workshop to practice many of the procedures we will cover.
- A true/false quiz: Debunking myths around newborns’ needs
- What to bring to your birthing facility for your infant
- Advice you’re likely to receive from the medical community that might be controversial and/or rooted in tradition rather than evidence-based research
- Newborn procedures – APGAR, Vitamin K, Erythromycin, PKU test, etc.
- Bathing – when it’s necessary and how to do it
- Cord care – is alcohol on the site necessary?
- Overview of the safe vs. toxic/chemical baby care products related to bathing and diapering
- How to trim those newborn nails without hurting the baby
- Infant safety – how to hold and pass baby to others, dressing baby, sleep safety
- Understanding “normal” attributes – appearance, skin tone, jaundice, urination, bowel movements, breathing patterns, reflexes, burping, sleep, crying, colic symptoms.
- Baby wearing – wraps and carriers. Demonstration of how to use a Moby wrap.
Meet the Instructors
The Baby Care Basics class is co-taught by Natalie Telyatnikov and Ashley Ortelli. Natalie is a postpartum-certified support specialist who co-manages the Life After Birth program. Ashley is a birth doula who is in the process of completing her medical training as a home-birth midwife. They each birthed their baby boys naturally using HypnoBirthing, and have a love of all-things related to birth and postpartum care.